Students, young professionals, and people of all ages have watched the ongoing debt ceiling negotiation with great interest and concern, so we wanted to share with members a message from Barack Obama’s Campaign Manager Jim Messina, which includes a video message from President Obama.
Please click "Read More" to see more details on the compromise shared from Obama for America.
The President and congressional leaders reached an agreement last night to meet our financial obligations and reduce our deficit.
Many people will have lots to say about this deal — but the President wanted to talk to you directly.
Watch the video:
Please share this video with everyone you know.
Obama for America
What the Debt Deal Does
- Removes economic uncertainty surrounding the debt limit at a critical time and prevents either party from using a failure to meet our obligations for political gain.
- Makes a significant down payment to reduce the deficit — finding savings in defense and domestic spending while protecting critical investments in education and job creation.
- Creates a bipartisan commission to find a balanced approach to continue this progress on deficit reduction.
- Establishes an incentive for both sides to compromise on historic deficit reduction while protecting Social Security, Medicare beneficiaries, and programs that help low-income families.
- Follows through on President Obama’s commitment to shared sacrifice by making sure that the middle class, seniors, and those who are most vulnerable do not shoulder the burden of reducing the deficit. As the process moves forward, the President will continue to insist that the wealthiest Americans share the burden.
- For a closer look at the mechanics of the debt agreement, take a look at this infographic.