YDM Releases September Event Calendar, New Website Features
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The following message was sent to Young Democrats of Massachusetts members in honor of Labor Day, which highlights the work that YDM will be taking on throughout the election season. To receive future updates, please join our mailing list.
"This Labor Day, we are reminded that we didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world by rewarding greed and recklessness. We did it by rewarding hard work and responsibility. We did it by recognizing that we rise or we fall together as one nation – one people – all of us vested in one another," – President Barack Obama
Happy Labor Day, Young Democrats!
There is much we have to thank organized labor for (little things like Social Security, Civil Rights, Fair Labor Standards, OSHA, & Health Care Reform), and I hope today you’ll take a moment to learn more and tell someone you know about them. Now is not the time to take Democratic and progressive accomplishments for granted and we need your help to remind our neighbors about our values and how they help working people.
Even though the temperatures are finally cooling off, election season is heating up with a little over a week remaining until the Democratic Primary on Tuesday, Sept. 14 – be sure to save that date and get to the polls. To help you figure out who you want to support we’re pleased to invite you to attend a Virtual Auditor Forum on Wednesday at 1 PM, where bloggers, Twitterers, and reporters will ask the candidates the tough questions and you can follow in real-time from the convenience of your desk. Register now to receive a list of links you can use to follow the conversation or tune in to ydma.org.
YDM also released a new Events Calendar you can use to keep up with all of the events you might be interested in from YDM, the Massachusetts Democratic Party, Democratic Town and City Committees, and our endorsed candidates. Check it out!
In other campaign news, two great videos came out last week you should know about: this special message from Gov. Deval Patrick and for you Caddyshack fans, check out Charlie Baker’s impressive impression of Judge Smails. If you haven’t started identifying your friends and family as supporters, become an organizer today through YDM’s page – this is as incredibly easy as it is important to ensuring Governor Patrick and Democratic leaders are able to finish the work they started after the November election.
- Tuesday, 9/7: YDM September Board Meeting
- Wednesday, 9/8: Virtual Auditor Forum
- Monday, 9/13: YDM Membership Committee Conference Call
- Wednesday, 9/15: Pioneer Valley Young Democrats Chapter Meeting
- Wednesday, 9/15: YDM Public Policy Committee Meeting
- Saturday, 9/18: Canvass for YDM-Endorsed State Rep Candidate Tim Dodd
- Friday, 10/1: PVYD Octoberfest
- Tuesday, 10/5: YDM October Board Meeting
YDM Phonebank for Sen. Karen Spilka & September Board Meeting – Tues., 9/7, 6:30 PM, Campaign Office of Senator Spilka, Framingham – Join YDM’s Board of Directors as we make phone calls for Sen. Karen Spilka and then conduct our monthly Board meeting. Sen. Spilka is one of YDM’s endorsed and targeted candidates. We will be making phone calls for Sen. Spilka fro 6:30pm to 7:30pm, and then hold our Board meeting at 7:30pm. There are several open seats on the Board, including Fundraising Director, 3rd Congressional District Director, and 4th Congressional District Director. Please contact YDM Chair Jonathan Sclarsic for more information and RSVP on Facebook now.
YDM Virtual Auditor Forum – Wed., 9/8, 1:00 – 2:30 PM, From Your Desk – The Young Democrats of Massachusetts Auditor’s Virtual Forum will be an opportunity for the candidates to share their message and respond to questions with bloggers and diarists from across the state and for members to learn about the candidates seeking their vote in the September 14th primary. Please RSVP now so we can send you links to follow the conversation and send any questions you have for the candidates or about the event to YDM Auditor Virtual Forum Event Coordinator Ture Turnbull (news outlets, bloggers, and political commentators RSVP here).
YDM Membership Committee Conference Call – Mon., 9/13, 7:00 – 8:00 PM, Teleconference – September’s conference call will focus on outreach materials, membership survey, phonebanks, voter registration drives, and upcoming volunteer opportunities. If you are interested in being on the call please e-mail YDM Membership Director John Kleschinsky so he can add you to the committee e-mail list and send you call-in information. You can also RSVP on Facebook!
Pioneer Valley Young Democrats Chapter Meeting – Wed. 9/15, 6:30 – 8:30 PM, Location TBD – Connect with Young Democrats in your area by stopping by the PVYD Chapter meeting! Time and location are being finalized, so please RSVP to receive the details.
YDM Public Policy Committee Meeting – Wed. 9/15, 6:30 – 7:30 PM, Location, & Call-in information TBD – Join the YDM Public Policy Committee for their September Meeting to discuss YDM’s efforts to protect affordable housing in Massachusetts by fighting Ballot Question Number 2. Details are still being finalized, so please RSVP or email YDM Public Policy Chair Devein Sheehan to stay in the loop.
YDM Canvass for State Rep. Candidate Tim Dodd – Sat., 9/18, 12:00 – 6:30 PM (exact time and location being finalized) – Join YDM as we canvass for fellow Young Democrat, endorsed candidate for State Representative, Tim Dodd. The canvass will take place Saturday afternoon and rides will be coordinated. Please RSVP now to receive an update when the time and location are finalized.
PVYD Octoberfest Fundraiser – Fri., 10/1, 7:00 – 11:00 PM, Berkshire Brewing Company, South Deerfield – Join PVYD’s biggest party of the year for a great time with great people and great candidates. Proceeds go to strengthen the great work that PVYD does to foster youth civic engagement and to support candidates and policies that represent youth interests. More details will follow, so please RSVP to stay in the loop!
YDM October Board Meeting – Tues. 10/5, 6:30 – 8:30 PM, Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ, Charlestown – Join the YDM Board as we discuss next steps for ensuring a Democratic victory in November! More details and conference call information to come, so please RSVP on Facebook now!
Democratic Job, Internship, & Volunteer Opportunities
To post opportunities or learn when they are available, be sure to join the Young Dem Jobs – MA Google Group!
Democratic Community Events (see and search them all at http://www.ydma.org/community-events-list)
- Tue 09/07, 07:00 – Harwich Democratic Town Committee Meeting
- Tue 09/07, 07:00 – Beverly Democratic State Rep. Forum
- Wed 09/08, 07:30 – Mansfield Democratic Town Committee Meeting
- Thu 09/09, 06:00 – Dorchester Volunteer Event for Gov. Deval Patrick
- Thu 09/09, 07:00 – Groveland Democratic Town Committee Meeting
- Thu 09/09, 07:00 – Lynn Democratic City Committee Meeting
- Fri 09/10, 06:30 – Reading Dem. Town Committee "Dinner With Dems"
- Sat 09/11, 09:00 – Medfield Democratic Town Committee Breakfast
- Sat 09/11, 07:00 – Ipswich Democratic Town Committee HQ OPEN HOUSE
- Sun 09/12, 01:00 – 3rd District Governor’s Council Democratic Candidates Debate Hosted by the Ward 6 Committee of Newton
- Sun 09/12, 02:00 – Reception for Rep. Tom Sannicandro in Ashland
- Mon 09/13, 07:00 – Candidates Night in Peabody
- Wed 09/15, 07:15 – Sudbury Democratic Town Committee Meeting
- Thu 09/16, 07:00 – Cape Ann Dem HQ gala opening & post-primary Democratic Unity event
- Fri 09/17, 06:00 – Weymouth DTC Annual Cookout
- Sun 09/19, 02:00 – Sen. Karen Spilka Fundraiser Hosted by Stasiks Family in Framingham
- Sun 09/19, 02:00 – Acton and Boxborough Democratic Town Committees Picnic
- Mon 09/20, 07:00 – Medway Democratic Town Committee Meeting
- Wed 09/22, 06:00 – Lt. Gov. Tim Murray’s Annual Worcester Celebration
- Wed 09/22, 06:30 – Milford Drinking Liberally 3rd Anniversary with Justin Krebs
- Sat 09/25, 11:00 – Democratic State Committee Meeting & Unity Rally
- Sat 09/25, 06:30 – The Plymouth County Democratic League 75th Anniversary & Unity Dinner
Be Democratic & Proud,